The concrete pilings unfortunately did not work out well for us. I think we needed more concrete mix in general, as when we 'rolled' them... they crumbled instead. Some of them are alright still, and we'll perhaps use them to weight down/tie down the frame from underneath.
Instead, we made our own "Foam-Henge." ... Which quickly lead to "ET, foam home..." Little styro obelisks for monkeys smaller than ourselves to both worship and fear. A quick 'sani-wrap' and we had instant pilings - again using junk/salvage material - and these ones will have zero chance of rotting.
D secured literally hundreds - if not a few thousand - of these foam blocks from a nearby tree nursery. They are otherwise being shipped back to China to be reused there... for stuff. The nursery is grateful for anyone who wants to come grab them, saving them on shipping.
Levelling them up was fun.
And we finished a good chunk of the decking frame. Tomorrow we'll most likely get the deck complete.
We put the plywood on top, so that we can toe-nail into them once the deck frame is built.
|small footprint made: remove duff, and dig into clay|
|octagonal frame, 90' facings @ 22.5 degree cuts|
|not too bad a level, considering the hillside, and that its not tacked down yet.|